[SEL] RE: One Flywheel or Two?

Michael Young michael.y at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 4 03:28:36 PDT 2005

Hi ,

here in Australia we were blessed with more than our fair share of Hornsbys
sent over from the old dart back in the early days of the last century - or
was that the one before .  They lie about rusting away in the paddocks, no
body bothering to pick them up, so common they is over here.  Of the 8,000
or so Hornsbys that came  to Australia in those days I doubt that more than
a few hundred had two flywheels.  The ones I have seen or seen pictures of
were real big ones, say 16Hp or bigger.  Believe me a 16Hp Akroyd is BIG.
This includes the earliest girder frame types, the half base Akroyds, the
1905 and 1912 style oil engines, the petrol and the Andrews styled gas
engines - they all were typified by a relatively large (for their HP) single
flywheel.

Michael Young
Orange, NSW, 2800
Phone:  02 6361 0041