[SEL] Re: One Flywheel or Two?

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue May 3 11:58:49 PDT 2005

On 5/3/05, Rob Skinner <rskinner at rustyiron.com> wrote:

> > Discuss please?
>
> Hi Peter,
> The original discussion of a few weeks ago was regarding a 1905 Hornsby.  I'd be
> interested in seeing some pictures of a dual-flywheel Hornsby Akroyd or 1905
> model.
>
> Rob
I have Ray Hooley's archive of original catalogues and descriptive
leaflets with me, and there are examples of twin-flywheel Hornsby
engines, the first I came across was the 'R' series oil engine of 1911
- 1925.

The "Standard Specification for Horizontal Oil Engines" lists engines
from 2 to 66hp and the brochure shows twin flywheels. The L and LE
were both Hornsby engines albeit during the transitional period after
R&H came into existance. The Class L engines ran from 1905 to 1912,
but the Class is shown as starting much earlier, these dates are for
the engine powers that tie up with the leaflet.

My last exhibit your honour, is a genuine original 1905 Richard
Hornsby sales leaflet for the Hornsby Oil Engine, showing twin
flywheels, on two sizes of engines.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes