[SEL] Hot tube material

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon May 2 08:57:43 PDT 2005

Steve,
Inconel 718 might be the alloy you are thinking of. It is a nickel alloy
well suited for hot work. I use it for some of the hot rolling mills in
our foundry. Unless you are up for a sadistic machining experience you
might just try to buy one already made. It is absolutely miserable stuff
to machine as it work hardens as you turn it/drill it. It is also 8x as
expensive as H13. You'll probably be able to buy several finished hot
tubes for what you could buy the tooling for.
We also use H13 which is a very good hot work tool steel. While not easy
to machine either, it is far easier than Inconel.
Perhaps the OFES guys can say if they have luck using H13 for hot tubes.....
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC