[SEL] piston rings and bores.

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon May 2 05:15:20 PDT 2005

Rings need to "Wear in" and with a glaze, there is nothing to cause the
rings, or the cylinder to "wear to match". The cross-hatching also
actually holds oil causing an even better seal and REDUCING friction.

If this were a car, there are different types of honing to match different
ring constructions. There are measurements for the "roughness", actually
scopes to measure it.

In your case, simply "deglaze" it, make sure it's as round as you can get
it, taper is nill and you'll be fine.

Bill