[SEL] piston rings and bores.

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Sun May 1 15:38:36 PDT 2005

I just rebuilt a small single cylinder ,four cycle engine. .....short cuts
,don't take them ! Because i could not readily buy new rings i made some ,no
problem there but i did not take the glaze off the bore. When reassembled
there seemed to be lots of compression and start up was easy . After an
hours run absolutely no compression...first thoughts it was the valves . I
did the usual and shot some oil down the spark plug hole....compression
!That eliminated the valves as the problem . Pulling the barrel off and
examining the bore showed considerable glazing ,there was evidence of blow
by ,oil coming out of the breather. So now it out with the hone
Peter Ogborne
Little Grove ,Albany
West Australia
''Heart of the Rainbow Coast ''