[SEL] OT: Splitter Boxes and Range-Changes

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Mar 31 14:56:23 PST 2005

ALL of those are TOYS. Try a Mack twin stick with a two speed rear end
when you really want to learn how to shift...
That would be a 5 speed main box, 5 speed secondary box and the two
speed rear.
For a LONG time that was a common setup on construction vehicles so they
could match speeds with other equipment.
I even know of one real glutton for punishment who has a custom built
rig from the mid 70s that has a 5 speed feeding a 9 speed with a 2 speed
rear.
With the 5X5 you shift 1-5, then you shift the second box into 2 while
shifting the main box back to either 2nd or third depending on how it is
geared. Then go 1-5 and shift the main box to 1st while shifting the
rear box to 4. Now go back through 1-5 again and then shift the rear box
to 5 main box to 3rd and splitter to high. Go through 4,5 and your in
high gear. Hills can be fun....
Something like 50 forward gear ratios, 10 reverse.

Steve Williams