[SEL] OT - expansion of metals in oil pumps

kerogas at sbcglobal.net kerogas at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 29 08:11:06 PST 2005

> A lot of folks say this is a weak design - that the aluminum will expand
> more and open clearances between the gears and the housing.
> They claim the fix is to use aluminum gears in the alum housing so they
> expand at the same rate, meaning a more accurate and tight pump, longer
> life, higher pressure, etc.

IOW in 101  years of developement they havent tried that yet ? What I see
over and over
is aluminum  thrust surfaces (ie oil filter adapters plate ) with a figure 8
shaped notch .
The gears burrow downward and allow some oil to bypassover the top of the
gears .
Had an iron sb chevy pump  in my hands  this AM with same wear  .
 You could rattle the gears around a bit  like a morracca .  Barring no oil
changes
and excess dirt and scotchbrite silica additives the aluminum stuff still
lasts a long ass time .
havent seen an al gear though

 Drops per gallon.. Id google some fiberglass hardener links