[SEL] Safety First

Ron Frost, Kersey, PA ron217_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 15:04:09 PST 2005

My father-in-law was killed doing that. He worked in the oil fields in PA and was what they call a pumper. He started and ran the engines that pulled the rod lines. One morning he went to start one of the engines and it put him through the roof of the pump house. Don't know the details as he was alone.
Ron

Charles R Bryant <mogul460 at localnet.com> wrote:
Posted on the SEL by a fellow collector in August 1997

"Hello List member. I had a narrow escape last Saturday morning and
thought I should pass it on to you all since several of you are getting large engines.
I had been waiting for a friend to come and help start my 35 HP Superior which
we had done several times before .Earlier in the week I installed a new propane
regulator and done some maintenance. In the process I tightened two bolts that held the main
bearing that supports the front of the side shaft, which in turn raised all the cams up
this making the magneto fire quicker before piston got to dead center.My being an old
timer I did not think of all this. We got on each flywheel and the engine had just a little
too much compression to reach top dead center., so I got up higher on the next spoke
with BOTH feet when it fired going in the wrong way.I discovered how it feels to be
shot from a cannon.. The last thing I remember was seeing the top of the exhaust
pipe. I landed about 20 feet luckily on my right side and back. After about 15 minutes
I discovered I was still alive no broken bones but not sure my kidneys were in the right place.
They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks but I sure learned one. NEVER PUT BOTH
FEET ON THE SPOKES. I would be a good buyer for an air starter if anyone has one"

Ron Frost
Kersey, PA
 http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4070123&a=30427007&f=0

  http://community.webshots.com/user/ron15846

" Collector of other peoples cultured merchandise "