[SEL] Neat! Tod engine's Allis-Chalmers loader

Tod Engine todengine at zoominternet.net
Sat Mar 26 16:08:57 PST 2005

Rich,

The engine is Allis Chalmers' own make.  It runs great, give a squirt of
ether in the intake and she fires right up. Its a model D-344.

Today was my first real chance to run it and do some real work.  I soon
found that it had absolutely no brakes, so I set out to fix that.  One of
the brake lines needed replaced and the master cylinder bled.  Its obvious
that the master cylinder probably didn't get checked often, as you have to
remove the floorboard in the cab to get to it!  Not the best design IMO.
Its also very uncomfortable to work on it, I had to work upside down much of
the time.

After getting the brakes to work I fired her up and started digging up some
topsoil so I can put in gravel later.  Everything works great and she has
plenty of power but I still have alot of learning to do on the finer points
of operation.

The next project is to get all the dashboard gauges to function as well as
the lights.  Not too bad an investment figuring I paid half of scrap value
for it.

Rick Rowlands