[SEL] OT: Spindle Oil, Lathes & Hammonds

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Fri Mar 25 17:48:10 PST 2005

I've been playing around with the old Hammond organ down at the church
in the Sunday school classroom again today. The sound of those things
is generated by spinning shafts with wheels on them, the wheels having
teeth cut in their edge that rotate past magnetic pickups, producing a
constant frequency for each number of teeth and RPM. Those frequencies
are blended together by a drawbar control system to make the different
tones of the organ. The shaft system is maintained at a constant speed
by a synchronous motor, but it's not self-starting and is started by a
shaded pole induction motor with a Bendix drive that engages a starting
gear, much like an automotive starter. The Bendix drive was sticking on
this and didn't seem to be loosening up since I lubricated the tone
generator 2 months ago, so I took off the back cover, found the Bendix
and put a few drops of ATF on the starter gear and the shaft it slides
on. (Had the ATF handy.) Works like a champ now!

That got me thinking again about the special Hammond tone generator
oil. (I'd borrowed some back in January, and gave it back.) Hammond,
like just about everybody else that's sold a car, motorcycle, chainsaw,
weedeater, sewing machine, etc., claimed that only their oil could be
used, and since they went out of business in the early '80s and
Hammond-Suzuki which now owns the name doesn't have anything to do with
the old ones, original Hammond oil has gotten to be an expensive item
on eBay. The folks who work on Hammonds are true believers in the
special nature of this oil and recommend nothing else. I just don't
believe that Hammond would've actually had some custom formulated oil
for that application, though. The tone generator is fundamentally a
lathe, with sintered bronze bearings at each end and the middle of the
three shafts. The main shaft rotates at 1800 RPM. (The two side shafts
run at different speeds, but I'm not sure what they are.) There's no
load on the shafts other than their own weight, and the whole tone
generator assembly is very light. The oil is delivered to the bearings
from a copper trough via capillary action through cotton threads, and
the synchronous run motor is lubed through a felt pad. (Hammond techs
think that that wick lubrication system is a unique design that demands
a very special oil.) The Hammond oil is a very pale yellow color, a bit
thinner than ATF but thicker than baby oil, and is very clingy to metal
surfaces. I'll bet it's ISO 22 spindle oil, like this:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=00254201

I notice somebody on eBay is selling an "8 year supply of Hammond tone
generator oil," that is, a 4 oz. bottle, for a $10 starting bid or $15
"buy it now." It comes in a modern plastic bottle of a rather generic
sort, and I'll bet that guy's bought a 5 gallon pail or 55 gallon drum
of spindle oil and decanted it into those bottles. Sounds like a pretty
good moneymaking racket to me!

That spindle oil's really pretty reasonably priced and ought to be a
useful general purpose lubricant wherever a light oil's needed.

I stuck around and played on the Hammond a while, then slipped down to
the choir room and tuned up the not-as-old all-electronic Thomas organ
that was horribly out of tune. The oscillator tuning coils had frozen
solidly in place, tight as Dick's hatband, but my old engine experience
kept me from breaking anything. I applied some penetrating oil a month
ago, and today all but one of the 12 coils were free, and that one
happened to already be in tune!

Not engines or stack music, but I've had a pretty good day mechanically!

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA