[SEL] Piston Ring Gap

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 05:03:53 PST 2005

Hi Jack,

It is air cooled with an aluminum piston. It is for a model I'm attempting
to make. I have the bore close to finish size. The piston fits, but the
rings don't fit yet.  I put in a piston ring and can't quite get the ends to
meet. The bore is too small yet so the ends of the ring overlap a bit. I
need to hone it out about .015 inches I'm guessing. I'm using the end gap on
the rings to determine what my finished bore size will need to be and how
much I'll need to hone it. I've read a little on how to hone, but not sure
what to use for cutting fluid.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA