[SEL] Fire at Buckley Show Grounds

Gene Waugh gwaugh at wowway.com
Thu Mar 24 09:31:17 PST 2005

This does bring to mind that it is very, very easy to install a "rough",
unapproved but VERY EFFECTIVE sprinkler system in a shed, shop, garage etc.
as long as the space is heated.  It is possible but much more complicated to
protect unheated spaces.

Where appearance is secondary it doesn't take much to run a length of pipe
overhead and install a few heads.  You don't need the schedule 80 black iron
pipe used commercially--copper water pipe is fine; even plastics are
approved for residential use in some jurisdictions.  As long as there is
water flowing in it, it ain't gonna melt!!

Again, for shop use, the freezing factor is the biggie.  Just make sure to
guard those heads against accidental damage; they can make one heck of a
mess!!

Gene