[SEL] OT... need some computer advice for Windows XP

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Mar 23 12:55:13 PST 2005

Guy and gals,
I need some assistance with a problem I am having with how Windoze XP
lists directories of files. Got new computers here and so I've trying to
learn XP after years of running 98.

Have found a XP glitch that is creating a bit of havoc for us. In both
explorer and the cad programs, XP is arranging the numbered files
differently than did 98.

In 98 we would save drawings as a 3 digit number with no revision but
with a description. And the revisions, a 5 digit number with no
description would fall underneath. Such as:

235 Feed Roll
23501
23502
23503
236 Timing shaft
23601
23602
237 Belt drive assy
23701

However in XP it is showing directories as:

235 Feed Roll
236 Timing Shaft
237 Belt drive assy
23501
23501
23503
23601
23602
23701

As you can imagine this will create havoc when we goto look for the
latest revision. I almost made that mistake today when looking for p/n
235. When I looked I found 235 Feed Roll and looking directly under it
there were no revisions. I printed that drawing. Only because I knew
there were revisions, did I know to find out where the "missing"
drawings were located. In fact I had to goto the Win 98 server to find
the "missing" files. Only after I studied this a bit did I discover the
directory listing problem.

Do you know if it is simply a matter of clicking something in one of the
menus to make this directory list p/n's as did Win98?

The thought of having to rename every p/n's 0 revision such as 23500
Feed Roll is out of the question. A tremendous amount of work for the
10's of thousands of drawings we have!

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am at curt at imc-group.com
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC