[SEL] Novo

Allen Home cwja at telus.net
Fri Mar 18 15:51:40 PST 2005

Hi Dave

    Good job on your Novo. Looks very much like my Novo.  Have a look at
my 1915? Novo on my home page. I have it running between 180 to 200 rpm,
firing only 6 times a minute. It does load up with oil and carbon that
has to be burnt out with some high speed running every once in a while.
I was fortunate with my engine which was given to me free by a friend of
my sister in Petrolia, Ontario, Canada. I had to drive it back across
Canada 2,800 miles between Christmas and New Years in 1995 in the back
of my camper van. The exterior was rusty and pitted from rat poop;  but
the engine was not stuck. There were no frost breaks because the top had
been covered. The piston was at TDC and the valves were closed
thankfully. With such an engine there is no way for water to get in with
things in this position. It had no mixer which turned out to be
significant. The engine had sat outdoors in the same sheep paddock for
at least 60 years and later was put inside a pig pen building, attached
to a grain chopper but  with no final alignment for running,  for about
10 to 20  years When I finally started rebuilding this gem, I found the
impossible had happened! It was brand new! No wear on anything; valves
still had lapping marks; babbit was still dull, not shined up with wear;
no cylinder wear; NADA! No rust inside at all. I refinished the
exterior, put in gas and oil, sealed all the interior fittings of
inspection panels and bearing blocks with silicone sealer (must do this
to stop leakage of much oil because manufacturer's machining was always
very poor for such fittings in this vintage) ; built a special crankcase
breather to equalize pressures in the oil sump; attached a 6 volt buzz
box ignition ; flipped the flywheels twice and she started running
great. Many fine adjustments later; particularly mixer check valve;
restricting the intake size on mixer; piping changes; and tweeking the
spring tensions of latch and flywheel weight allows the slow running. I
have now run this beauty for about 60 hours and it is just starting to
break-in. The reason we have determined the engine was new is because
Charlie Fairbanks, the son of the original buyer of the engine in
Petrolia, figured that it was due to the fact that Petrolia is the site
of the first working oil well in North America ( yes, check it out
Pennsylvania and Texas). They never found a suitable mixer to run the
engine on the raw crude they were bringing up from shallow oil wells in
the area. They just abandoned the engine through disinterest until I
came along and heard Charlie talking in a restaurant dinner we were
having with some Industrial Archeologists from Canada and United States.
He was telling someone about this old engine and I leaped up and said he
should not waste the engine and that I could do something about it. He
gave it to me that night, sight unseen. Sometimes you get lucky with
engines and even with women!  BTW, Petrolia or nearby Oil Springs  is
the place where most of the leather valves for oil and water pumps for
most old equipment in the world are made by a small back alley company
that Charlie's dad started in the beginning of the 1900's and still is
in operation.

Jeff Allen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

http://webspace.oanet.com/jeff/