[SEL] Re: Cast Iron repair

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 06:59:57 PST 2005

Thanks for the tips on cast iron repair.  I knew that I was asking the right
folks.  There were some really creative ways to disguise the repair for a
casting which will not be painted.  For my situation some ideas are more
helpful than others.  I'm working with a 100 year old casting and it is
quite rough.  The pits are pretty deep and my needle scaler wouldn't begin
to make those kind of dents.  The scaler did do a good job on the brass
repaired area though.  I had to make sure to only make light passes over the
brass and to heavier work over the cast.  I will apply a coat of paint over
what I have done so far and evaluate the results.  I really like the idea of
using epoxy (JB Weld) to create a textured surface.  I'll let you know how
things work out.