[SEL] A little bit of RED A$$

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sat Mar 12 06:50:14 PST 2005

Hi Tom,

Some folks do that; restore engines with new or repro parts.  Some engines
would also be way too expensive to restore that way unless you took on the
project as a silly money "personal challange."

Some of us also try really hard to use "original" parts in our
restorations.  And, for the most part, "original" parts are gonna come
from just one place.  That place is an old engine that was taken to
bits and the parts sold to folks doing restorations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an ultra-purist.  I think once a piston is in
the engine and has run for a bit, most folks wouldn't be able to tell.
But the owner would know that it was a repro and not an original.  And
that owner might care about that subtle difference.  I think you'll agree
that an engine that is "all original" sells for more than one that has a
new crank, new flywheels, new rod, new piston, new fuel tank, new cooling
tank, new paint & decals, etc.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA