[SEL] RE: SEL Digest, Vol 12, Issue 10

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:17:01 PST 2005

I can't think of any type of rotary mag which does not impulse even on my
1cly Wisconsins.  The impulse also retards the spark for starting.  If you
crank it and it does fire the spark my be to early and cause it to kick
back.  Older farmalls had an impulse which had to be set manually.  If you
forgot to set the impulse and went to cranking you might get the snot
knocked out of you!  If your mag has a lever for retard/advance make sure it
is set correctly.  I think the full retard actually grounds the mag killing
the spark.  Remember, give that crank plenty of room, only pull up, & don't
wrap your thumb around the crank.  You want it to pull out of your hand
should it kick back.