[SEL] Universal GenSet

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Thu Mar 10 06:24:36 PST 2005

Appreciate the info, Mike.  I see where they have some old literature on
Universal Engines and GenSets.  Course the cyberbox locks up when I crank up
the .pdf files so will get Cork to do it.

I now believe ours is a "D" model as the serial number is D1844.  You might
find this 4 page site interesting as we did:

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/History_of_the_Universal_Motor_Company_1.html#top

I hope that url doesn't wrap, if so I'll do an abbriviated version.

  Re: the Dixie mag, I going to assume it's impulse as Peters chart shows
the Dixie 46 has a 35 degree impulse lag.  Once again I'll assume that the
35 degrees is the amount of turn that the spring winds up before it
trips/impulses.  Kinda like a Webster.  This one doesn't impulse or at least
I can't hear it, so I'll tinker with it a little and re-charge the
magnet(s).

  Does anyone know which position of the advance/retard lever is retard...up
or down?  Don't need any excitement regarding that proceedure:-)

  All in all a very nice engine with definite learning capabilities.  The
mag, carb, gov, dynamo, water pump are just a few.

I've uploaded a few more pictures to my webshots album:

http://community.webshots.com/album/291395326wWDmvi

Thanks again, Mike and all

RickinMt.