[SEL] Showing engines or not.

Steve Barr stevebarr at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 9 20:07:54 PST 2005

Jeff

I am members of several different local clubs.  I also do the web site for
the Sandwich Club.  We get simular requests.  All invitations I take to
the club meeting and read it for the members present.  If anyone wants to
go, they are free to do so.  It is also a great way to advertise for our
show later or invite others who may show there to come to our show.

Since you metioned a that your club has a money making device and the
board decided that it won't be there (was it ok'd by the host of the
show?).  Will you or other club members who are interested be there?

There are no club rules stopping you from showing anywhere at any time no
matter what club you belong to.  I tend to have more fun at other shows
because of less job responsibility.  Take the show in and enjoy it as an
individual.  I am sure you will have a great time and you can still hand
out flyers for your club show.

Steve
--- Jeff Allen <transteck at earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi all,

At the risk of pissing off some of the club or board members of my club, I
decided to make this post. Quite honestly I don't know if any of them are
on either list. I sure do want some opinions, and hell, at least it's on
topic.

I run the web site for my local club, and my mailbox gets many inquiries
regarding the club. Some I can answer and others I pass on to a board
member. One of my latest inquiries was this one, and I've snipped and
copied cause I don't like typing. Location and phone number removed by
me.

>I operate a small agricultural museum in ().  I have and old Iron Show
>Scheduled for May 7th, 2005.  I would like to ask if any of your
>members would be interested in bringing antique Tractors  and
>Equipment to the Show.  I can be reached through the email address or
>at () Tuesday through Thrusday afternoons till 5:00 p.m.
>Thank you

Now to me this sounds like a helluva good invitation. Land and location
furnished and a place to show off old iron and get together. No cost to
the club because club sponsored shows are covered by liability insurance.
What is the problem? Well it turns out the show would add no money to the
clubs coffers, and without that it is not a show. I realize that there are
revenue needs to keep a club going, but do we have to make money at every
place we can show? Car club folks knock themselves out to show off their
iron and they get by.

The potential to run our (revenue making item) maybe could have been there
by the way. I have no doubt it would have been welcome and some revenue
obtained. The board of directors  turned the invitation down.  What the
hell is this hobby all about? Making money only or a little of both.  Not
a happy camper tonight.