[SEL] Universal GenSet

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Wed Mar 9 08:22:53 PST 2005

  Howdy all;
Had a nice engine days yesterday.  Went across town and brought home what we
consider a pretty nice barn freshe "Universal Engine" hooked up to a D.C.
Generator/Dynamo.  The PO Mr. Bud Johnson said that they used it for a
backup battery charger for the ore carts in the 1940's.  Pretty good shape
and it's all there.  Came out of a silver mine and he says there's more iron
up there..too much snow now to go and look.

  Problem is, no spark out of the Dixie mag.  Is this an impulse mag?  If so
I've got some tinkering to do.  He also had the mag apart and forgot to
install the magnets the first time he worked on it.  Aaarrghhh, we know what
that means :-)), but luckily still have the friends magnet recharger.

Here's the Webshots album;  and of course "it ran when he parked it." (vbg)
Could also use a manual or whatever's available.

http://community.webshots.com/album/291395326wWDmvi

We believe it's a 7hp, 4 lunger, 1000 rpm, primer cups on each cylinder.
The big tank is the gas tank.

Hope ya enjoy
RickinMt.