[SEL] Machinery's Handbook downloadable 26th edition

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:55:56 PST 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:10:34 -0500, Tod Engine
<todengine at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> The technical library of the Tod Engine Foundation has at least a hundred or
> more engineering textbooks dating back to an 1893 edition of Applied
> Mechanics up to more modern stuff through the forties.  After WWII the
> collections thins out some.  I've been frequenting every flea market and
> antique mall that I can find.  Rarely do I leave without one or more old
> books under my arm.  Of course there is also a health selection of Lindsay's
> books.  Its funny that none of what is in our library duplicates any of what
> he reprints.  Also I rarely find duplicates in antique malls, there are
> always different texts to find.  Everybody must have been publishing
> technical books in the first half of the 20th century!
>
> We also have a 21st edition and 7th edition of the Machinery's Handbook.
> Both are indespensible since they do have some different information in
> each.
>
> Rick Rowlands

I think that old technical books are a damm good investment,
especially the sets of bound volumes from the late 1800's and the
early 1900's.

Old data are no longer listed in many new issues, and while Lindsay
does a good job on reprinting smaller books, they haven't done
anything really large that I know of.

Almost any book by Arthur W Judge is worth latching on to, and most of
the book sets published by Caxton, Newnes, Odhams and Pitmans
printers/publishers are all very good value for money as folks clear
out their old bookshelves.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes