[SEL] Secure Pictures and Manuals

Paul Evans paul at semidiesel.com
Fri Mar 4 12:08:38 PST 2005

Listerdiesel wrote:

> I know that Paul Evans tried password protecting the access, but that
> becomes an administrative nightmare and takes up time, so I think he
> dropped it eventually.

News to me, we never used it. Password protection on PDFs is easy to implement but pointless as has
been pointed out. Personally I would not choose to use PDF anyway as it is a proprietary format I
would have preferred Group 4 TIFF as an internationally agreed standard. However, most people seem
to prefer PDF and they are the ones reading the things.

We were never concerned about people copying as such, the idea was and is to make the info
available. It was just that we were struggling to fund a free service and the museum was the loser
with the system as it was.

The current system of a one off fee has helped fund the server and buy new manuals, people who are
stuck usually email and are still sent copies - typically about 20 manuals a day, increased work for
us but at least we don't feel like idiots any more.

Cheers
Paul

http://www.internalfire.com
Internal Fire, Museum of Power
Tanygroes, Ceredigion, Wales
Tel: 01239 811212

Internal Fire is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK.