[SEL] OT partly - re-chroming parts and valve and swap date questions

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 07:36:09 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 05:58:57 -0800 (PST), bill at antique-engines.com
<bill at antique-engines.com> wrote:
> Anyone know of a place where one can get parts done with a "satin chrome"
> finish? I've got some pieces that were chrome - but they were originally
> satin chrome finish, not the mirror finish like car bumpers.
> They are rusty now, of course.....

Satin Chrome is normally unpolished chrome over a shot-blasted or
shot-peened finsh, depending on the material. XLR plugs and sockets
are satin chrome or black nickel for example.

> Can cast iron be chrome plated?

Yes, but the granularity of the surface makes it a bit "pot-holed" for
want of a better expression.

> And to help keep this on topic at least a little -
> Anyone know Le Suer swap dates? Is it always last weekend in April?

We'll be over in California during April for Tulare, but other than
that we have no info
on the US shows.

> And finally - when I eventually get the VERY stuck exhaust valve out of
> the big Chapman, it will be worthless - can anyone make valves with VERY
> long stems? This baby has a valve stem that must be nearly a foot long.
> (thus, it's impossible to get out in one piece - that's over 6" of rusted
> valve in guide)

Cut the old stem off. Drill the head and tap it, make a new stem out
of ground silver steel rod and when you have threaded it into the head
of the old valve, weld over the protruding piece or turn it flush and
peen over. Silver steel comes in increments of 5

> No way to buy one that will be even close like we can the other engines.
>
> Bill

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes