[SEL] What was your best engine trip?

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:27:10 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:21:32 -0800, George Best <George_Best at adp.com> wrote:
> In another attempt to get this group back to engines ;-)
>
> If everyone would tell the story of their best engine related trip that
> would keep us busy for a long time.

The three trips to Spain probably, both in terms of distances
travelled and old iron recovered, although we 'lost' the van engine on
the second trip!

Trip 1 was with the old van but one, the white minibus and we found
the 15hp Diter diesel engine, travelled about 1800 miles altogether,
not counting 24-hour ferry trip each way.

Trip 2 was with the 'new' van, which was a year old then, but we blew
the engine up a few days within warranty on the way back and with 3
engines on the trailer. Mileage was a bit more as we went into
Portugal this trip, probably about 2600 miles, but I'd need to check
the trip report.

Trip 3 was with the same van with a new engine (well, nearly new, it
had done over 100,000 miles by this time) and we collected the
Bolinder twin cylinder hot bulb marine engine which was given to us by
the owner's wife. That involved north eastern Spain down to south
eastern coast in one hit, then we stayed for a few days before going
due west to Portugal, stayed there a while and then back up north for
the ferry and home. We also collected a LOT of ceramic floor tiles
which are cheap out there, we bought back home 1/4 ton of them!

We'll probably christen the new van with another trip later this year
if all goes well.

All of these are documented on our web pages.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com