[SEL] Astle Park 1000 Engine Rally

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 13:25:11 PDT 2005

We popped into Astle Park at lunchtime today, part-way through a
500-mile round trip to collect some bits we had bought on ebay.

The hot and humid weather we had been having during the week broke on
Friday, with heavy downpours and thunderstorms over much of the UK.
Fortunately the ground was very dry so only minor problems were caused
on setup day for the rally, and by Saturday it was pretty good
underfoor, even the grass was dry to walk on.

The engines were better to my eyes than previous occasions, with some
unusual hardware on show. I have taken about 50 pics and will get them
posted asap.

Arnie was there, we met up with him as he was wandering round the
engine enclosures taking pictures. We haven't had the dreaded barriers
thanks heavens! so only a double rope  and fairly unobtrusive.

Jim and Dolly joined us for a chat, then we had to go and unload the
van for Arthur Griffin for whom we had brought up some magazines that
he had purchased and a Norman flat twin that he had bought from us.

David McCreath brought my GEC Crystal Set (Early Radio) down from
Glasgow, and I was able to give Arnie his exhaust valve lifter locking
screw that he was missing on his Lister CS, so a general round of
swapping and carrying!

We didn't think that the stalls were up to much, and most of the guys
we spoke with agreed. The members of the UK newsgroup got together by
the beer tent, and photographs were taken by Dave Croft and Kim
Siddorn.

John & Ria Hammink were a very welcome sight, it was good to see them
again. Sadly, the last time we went to this show, we met Lou Terpstra
who came over with Harry, but this year for obvious reasons neither
could attend. Lou will be greatly missed.

A decent-looking Petter Atomic diesel on a trolley went for £400 in
the club sales enclosure, the auction wasn't a lot of good, mostly
junk.

Peter

--
Peter A Forbes