[SEL] RE: Update on the Ruston Hornsby - PB 3 - The head is off...

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Mon Jun 20 16:12:32 PDT 2005

> If you ever get a peculiar sweet taste in your mouth and
> nose while working on an engine or while welding, the taste is from
> lead compounds, which are intensly sweet. Children eat old lead paint
> chips because of the intensly sweet taste.

Just today, a lady who works in my office told me that her mother used
to put "sugar of lead" (lead acetate) on rashes like poison ivy. Said
it provided quick relief. Asked me if I'd tried it. I advised that it's
readily absorbed through the skin and very poisonous. New one on me.
Many cases of lead and other heavy metal poisoning nowadays are from
folk remedies.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA