[SEL] Replacing Babbitt in M/B caps

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Jun 20 10:22:30 PDT 2005

Rick,
Oh you are in for fun pouring the uppers without screwing up the lowers!
How about this. Drill and tap 4 #8or #10 holes in the caps, 2 on each
side at each end near where the radius of the cap meets the flanges of
the cap. Set the cap in place with some amount of shim you like and
tighten the flange nuts. Now screw in 4 brass #8 screws until they hit
the crankshaft. Set the screws using a locking nut. Remove the caps. Now
use a piece of TG&P of the same diameter as your crankshaft about an
inch longer than the cap. The 4 screws form a cradle for the TG&P to
rest in.  Dam with Babbittrite, soot the TG&P, heat everything good, and
pour it full while upside down. Once cooled and apart you should have a
perfectly formed babbitt insert. Drill your oil port, add the groove,
chamfer the correct side for shaft rotation and you're good to go. Oh
yeah, and remove the brass screws. Plug holes with caulk and paint.
Sound reasonable?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC