[SEL] Maytag engine Help

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Jun 13 06:52:37 PDT 2005

FYI - I believe a 1924 maytag will be a single cyl with the alum carb on
the "back end".
The twins started in the late 30's

Actually, you won't want the tank airtight on a twin (or most engines),
there is a vent hole that must be open. You want a decent seal between the
crankcase and the tank, but it's not necessary to it running. The fuel is
picked up into the block so the tank has little to do with it unless it's
air-tight, then it could starve for fuel.

John - here's a "me too" - check the check valve, be sure it works, check
the "carb" to be sure it's clean. It's pretty simple so remove, check, fix
and reinstall. Be sure the carb to block seal is good or it will suck air.
Same if bushings are worn, it'll suck air.

(Dave believes maytags always suck air anyway.........)

Bill