[SEL] Manilla Rally

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 12 19:28:19 PDT 2005

Home again after another excellent weekend.
I left home Friday and after a 6 hour drive arrived in Manilla at sunset. I
unloaded the 5.5hp Buzacott and went to set up camp. I drove up to town to
get something to eat and found the ultimate convenience store, a combined
fruit & vegetable/ café/ bottle shop! Well supplied I headed back to our
camp where we had a great night telling lies around the fire.
Saturday the engines were uncovered (and more arrived). There was a huge
number and astonishing array of engines. There was well over 150 engines as
well as a big display of steam and lots of tractors. There were a couple of
early Crossleys, Hornsbys, an Akroyd, Tangyes, Hercules, various IHC,
Associateds, and many more. My favourite, and probably the rarest thing
there, was a San Francisco Hercules. I have only seen one other of these in
the flesh and was amazed to see one running. Very impressive.
Late Saturday afternoon it started to rain but there were no complaints as
the area is suffering from a long draught. We weatherproofed our camping
area and headed off to the dinner where there was a big crowd and a good
meal. Saturday night was spent sheltering from the rain around the fire and
telling more lies ;)
It rained off and on during the night and there were a few more showers on
Sunday. The Buzacott ran fine on Saturday but come Sunday morning it would
not start. Lack of spark was found to be the problem. The engine had a
modern automotive lead on it which was there when I bought it and I had been
meaning to replace it....  The damp weather caused a complete failure but a
new lead and the engine started first pull.
At midday I decided to grab a break between the showers and load up for the
long trip home getting home after dark Sunday night.
I took 200 photos on Saturday and more on Sunday but my second memory card
decided to have a fit and I lost the Sunday photos :(
Manilla put on one of the best rallies I have been to and I will certainly
be there next time.
I will put some photos up when I finish sorting them out.
Patrick

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html