[SEL] OT - Oversized seals

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:15:45 PDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Joseph L Betz <jlb94 at juno.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to obtain
> oversized axle seals for my truck ?
>
> 1972 Ford - F-250 4x4.
>
> The seal surfaces don't seem to be worn any more than normal - and -
> don't seem
> so bad they should leak but stock seals just don't do the job.
>
> It's a problem I've had for years and I'm getting quite tired of always
> trying to find a level area to park in and always cleaning my brakes
> before
> going to shows.
>
> Lately I've been applying grease to the seal surfaces before installing
> the drums.
> It seems to help some but not a cure.
>
> Joe "Pip" Betz said that.

Joe:

Have you tried a different type of seal?

Years ago we changed from plastic lip seals to an older leather
spring-loaded type which gave better duty on a truck axle.

Second-source parts places can often give you a dimensionally similar
seal with better performance.

Moving the seal a 1/16" in or out can allow the lip to run on a fresh
area on the axle tube, that can also improve seal oil retention. We
did this on some Scania rear main seals that wore a groove in the
crank end, and a new seal just sat in the same groove, so a move
helped to find a new wearing surface.

Last thing:  Putting a new seal face in the form of a sleeve onto the
axle tube can help, especially if it is a thin sleeve held on with
loctite so you can get it off again if necessary.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com