[SEL] Measuring cylinder taper

Glenn A Karch glenn.karch at gte.net
Thu Jun 2 06:10:17 PDT 2005

Hi gang,

I was helping Keith Kinney determine the cylinder taper on his Reid engine.
We found a unique way of doing it.  First you put a piston ring just into
the bottom end of the cylinder and with feeler gauges, measure the ring gap.
Then you slide the ring in a ways and measure the ring gap again.  Slide the
ring in farther and measure again.  Devide the increase in the ring gap from
the first one by pi (3.14) and you have the taper.  Anybody else ever tried
that?  We then used an inside mike and obtained very similar results.

Glenn

Glenn Karch
Haubstadt, IN, USA
Hercules Historian