[SEL] Making a spring

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Jul 31 15:34:17 PDT 2005

Curt:

While I'd be glad go off list if you wish, the topic is certainly relevant
to the list and if we pool our ignorance maybe it will benefit others, too.

My spring making experience is pretty slim.  I did get a spring making kit
for Christmas or something many years ago and have used it successfully a
few times.  It came with an assortment of wire and a tool that is
reminiscent of that little pocket-sized jig we used to carry when building
fence.  Maybe you know the device, it was for getting a good tight wrap on
that short piece of wire that attached the barbed (or woven, for that
matter) wire to the steel post.  The point was that it applied the torque
right next to where you really wanted the wire to bend, just next to the
fence strand.

David's post references this same need with the jig he describes.  Point
being that if you can apply the pressure right near the form that you're
wrapping the wire around, the resulting wrap will be pretty close to the
desired diameter.

Curt, I met you at the Baraboo, Wisconsin show a few years back, didn't I?
That was the year Reg Ingold was in town.  I don't get out much, haven't met
many of the list members and have forgotten the names and faces of many I
have met.  I just learned that a neighbor is going to Baraboo this season,
he has a couple of Oliver crawlers he wants to take over.  Maybe I'll make
the show this year.  It's only about 3 hours from my place.

Take care, you're welcome to my ignorance on the subject, I have plenty to
share.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.