[SEL] Making a spring

rdhaskell at juno.com rdhaskell at juno.com
Sat Jul 30 10:58:26 PDT 2005

Hi Curt.
There are a couple of ways that I know of.  First is get the spring wire
from a hobby shop, I think they come in lots of diameters and two or
three feet long.  bend it to the shape you want.  The problem is it
springs back so you have to made it smaller diameter than you want in the
end.
The other is get wire from an Orthodontist (sp) it can be bent easily and
doesn't spring back.  When you get the size and shape you want, heat it
to a dull red and let it air cool, I don't think I quenched it, and you
have a spring.  The trick with the dental wire was more than thirty years
ago (time flies when you are having fun).  Good luck.

Ron Haskell
rdhaskell at juno.com
Riverside, California
USA