[SEL] Shingle Mill Pictures

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Thu Jul 28 05:45:34 PDT 2005

> I'm not sure. I don't think it would take much. Maybe 10hp. Similar to a
> buzz rig. Maybe someone else knows.......
>
> Luke Tonneberger
 Dick Gibbens sets his Perkins shingle mill up at the Cypress Saw Mill Festival every year. He powers it with a Titan Tractor. The width of the shingle makes a big difference in the power required. If the log is too wide it hits the blade stiffener and drags it down, slipping the belt or loading the engine. On a narrow log you can just about cut through on momentum, there's a lot of spinning mass there.
J.B. Castagnos