[SEL] Are we all insane??

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Mon Jul 25 08:53:14 PDT 2005

> Hi List,
> 	Are we all insane or is it just me ??

Yes Jerry,
We are conquistadors of the useless, compulsive addicts of the absurd.

With engines, there is the expenditure of precious time, marital harmony,
financial stability,  set against the transitory pleasure of the reanimation of
a useless object, the thrill of the first "chuff," the fleeting satiation of an
irrational desire. The fact that there will always be a bigger or rarer engine
guarantees the desire can never be fully gratified.  This is the addiction.
Perhaps the desire is deeply rooted in the very absurdity of the undertaking. It
is so wonderfully pointless and meaningless that it has to be done.

Rob "Don't Call Me Simpson" Skinner