[SEL] oil slinging Witte

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 24 11:02:08 PDT 2005

The 3hp Witte I've been working on off and on for over a year now appears to
be ready for  paint. Runs and cranks great. I ran it for over 2 hours
yesterday at full throttle and the only problem I am finding is it likes to
sling oil on the mag side flywheel. This is a late model engine with an
enclosed crankcase. The oil is getting onto the crankshaft and coming
through the timing gear cover. As best as I can tell there is no way to put
a seal there as there is a keyway involved. I don't know if I have the
engine too full of oil and it is oiling the gear train too heavily through
the crankcase breather or if this engine was just designed to sling oil. Any
thoughts/ideas?

John Hall