[SEL] What glue to use??

Michael P. Koryciak guitronics at comcast.net
Sat Jul 23 21:20:49 PDT 2005

I have a couple of different ideas on what to use for gluing the v-belts
in the grooves around the circumference of the pulley.

1: First, let me say that the idea of gluing v-belts into pulley
grooves, in order to use a flat belt is absolute genius! I love the
idea. Are you going to use the common auto/light truck "MicroGroove"
belt? I've read that they are supremely durable,and get the most common
size by going to a junkyard and getting one off an old Chevy.The most
popular size belts cost the least. Do a google for "Gates Drive Belts"
and see what their equivalent stock number is....I hear they make the
best serpentine belts.

2:My first choice for glue is "JB Weld"....it has metal (Steel?)
Particles suspended in it, it's some sort of epoxy,I've used it to fix
leaking Gas tanks on cars. Just make sure you wait at least the
recommended time or more before putting on that flat belt.

You can get large tubes of this 2-part glue at Sam's,Costco,and Home
depot....cost is about $2 to $3 .

3: There's a poly-urethane glue out called "Gorilla Glue"....it's plenty
strong, but it is quite expensive....also once it is opened, if you
don't seal the nozzle back right away the whole thing will harden.
Moisture in the air cures it.There's also the same type of glue made by
Elmer's   (The old 'glue-all' product)  called "Ultimate glue" that
costs a little less than the Gorilla.

If it were me, I'd take the  V belt(s)  and  the pulley and (Outside!)
wipe them down with Lacquer thinner, Acetone, or Mineral spirits; let dry.

Then I'd scuff up the belts on the "V" side, and the pulleys a bit, too.

I'd cut the "V" belt at a 45 degree angle,put a small spot of "Crazy
Glue" on the belt inner side, and press it into the pulley until it
holds.Then I'd Put JB Weld on the rest of the groove(s) with a small
brush, and put the belt under tension and roll it around until it meets
the beginning.Cut it off a bit large, then progressively smaller until
you get a good fit.

Then I'd duct-tape the whole "V" until it sat for the required time.
I'd do one "V" at a time.

Once cured, good luck getting the "V" Belts off!