[SEL] What glue to use??

Larry Evans lfevans at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 23 20:03:53 PDT 2005

At 06:18 PM 7/23/2005, you wrote:
>Not sure how glue would hold up under the belt.
>How about gluing them in and then drilling some small holes across the
>belts and sheaves in line with the pulley bore and installing some pins
>through the grooves and belts to lock them in place.
>
>Steve Williams
>Near Cooperstown, New York

Steve,

I suspect that the glue will do a pretty good job of holding but if the
ends start to come loose I had already thought of drilling through the belt
down into the bottom of the groove and then tap the hole in the metal and
use a flathead machine screw slightly countersunk to hold the ends down.  I
also am planning on staggering the ends of the belting by 120 degrees so
that if I did have to drill holes they would not be concentrated in one
area and cause a potential weak spot.  I hadn't considered your idea of
pins through the sides of the sheaves but will definitely keep it in mind.

Regards,

Larry Evans
Arcadia, Southern California, USA
MailTo:LFEVANS at pacbell.net