[SEL] Early Switchboard Meters and Switchgear

Michael P. Koryciak guitronics at comcast.net
Sat Jul 16 18:20:36 PDT 2005

On relays, "quenching", or "spike" diodes are put across one of the
coils to absorb the voltage of the collapsing magnetic field.I imagine
the same thing will work with switches....in Audio Electronics, a
high-value (1 Meg ohm) resistor is used on the input of amplifiers to
eliminate the "Popping" noise of the switch.