[SEL] Vacuum Tubes (Valves) Source

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Mon Jan 31 17:06:20 PST 2005

I know they're not the same tube, and not supposed to be directly
interchangeable, but nevertheless they've often been interchanged. I've
got a modern Electar Tube 10 guitar amp that's clearly designed for a
6V6, the output stage circuit parameters being identical to the Fender
Champs that used a 6V6, but they were shipped with 6L6s. Doubtless
because of the wide availability and lower price of 6L6s on the market
today. Runs that 6L6 hot as hell. (It's really a Russian 6¹3C-e,
labelled as a "6L6WGC/5881.") It's a terrific sounding little blues
amp, BTW. After they sold 'em a while as Electars and got 'em debugged,
they changed the faceplate, put in a slightly bigger Celestion speaker,
jacked up the price and sell it as an Epiphone Galaxy 10.

Cheapest place I've bought tubes is E.T.O.L.S. in Belgium. Pays to buy
'em there and pay the shipping if you've got a fair sized order. The
tubes are mostly the same ones sold here by New Sensor as Sovteks (and
some of 'em come already marked and packed in Sovtek boxes from the
manufacturer) but most of 'em are stamped with the "Tronal" brand,
which is a little different over here. :-)

The online Russian vendors seem a little shady and aren't good about
answering inquiries.

John

On Jan 31, 2005, at 6:50 AM, lightningrod wrote:

> 6V6/6L6
>
> John :They aren't the same tube! They are not interchangeable. Tubes
> ARE pricey, these days.
> They never quit making them in europe....except England and
> Germany.Nothin' sounds like tubes!

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA