[SEL] Buzz Coil Tester (for Dave)

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 12:58:50 PST 2005

Amen, Mike.

My "Mildly Mentally Retarded" brother-in-law lives with us and has been living with us for the
last 11 years because of the way they talked to him at the last group home he was in.  One
comment,,,,,,"Get back in your room you retard!" overheard when the gal didn't know my wife and I
were in the house was all I needed to hear.  I told her it was three days to the end of the month
and by then I would have a room cleaned out and furnished for Jim.  It was a scramble, but I made
it. 11 years later I wouldn't think of ever letting him go back into a place like that.  He also
has Epilepsy and was having too many large seizures there.  I did some reading about managment and
it has been years now since he has had one.  Just two during the first couple years he was here.
Jim is 46 but at about the 4-6 year old level.

Alan Bowen

--- lightningrod <guitronics at comcast.net> wrote:

> Michael P. Koryciak Writes:
>                        I'm sure you guys meant no offense....and the
> gist of the joke is kinda funny.
>
> You gotta understand that there are people who read this list that are
> soft-hearted towards those of us born with disabilities.
>
> I'm not demanding anything, nor do I believe in "Politically-Correct"
> speech.
>
> I have a 19-year old stepson who is retarded, sometimes called "Mentally
> Impaired".(PC!).
>
> He's stuck at between 3 and 4 1/2 years old. He also has Cystic Fibrosis
> (CF), and an enzyme deficiency.
>
> He takes a handful of pills every day.Most CF patients never reach 30
> years old.
>
> I love him very much.I'm sure you didn't intend to be hurtful, but I
> only ask that you be a tad more considerate towards other's who may have
> family members, etc. who have these disabilities.
mike