[SEL] Sorta O/T..gear making

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 05:34:21 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/27/2005 6:48:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jd.kirkes at verizon.net writes:

<<  I suppose a gear could be
 made with a variety of cutters and finished off with a file >>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14325&item=4959475155&r
d=1

I noted the above ebay item and did not know what it was.  After it sold, I
contacted the buyer and he explained it to me it was a tool used by watchmakers
to round(form) the ends of gear teeth that had been cut with a straight
cutter.  The teeth were cut to the proper pitch on the blank gear with a straight
cutting tool and then "rounded" with this mechanism.  A very rare piece he
added.

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com