[SEL] IH 3M

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Tue Jan 25 17:10:09 PST 2005

At 07:47 PM 1/25/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Guys
>We have a new ID plate for our 3 M.
>Have not yet tried to remove the old one.
>Has anyone had any success in removing the four "screws" which hold the
>large square ID plate
>on the top of the hopper on the IH 3 M ?
>I am expecting to have to drill them out. Are they screws or rivets?
>Thanks
>Brian Taylor
Hi Brian,
         Unless someone has replaced them since the engine left the factory
they should be rivets. Try feeling on the inside of the hopper. You can
probably feel the ends of the rivets. Get a small hammer inside the hopper
and tap on the ends and they will raise up enough to get a pair of pliers
on them. I've found that it takes several hits on a finger for every one on
the rivet--so don't give up too soon!
         Dave
PS, "By Golly Darn" is perfectly acceptable when hitting your finger!