[SEL] patent search

Steve Barr stevebarr at ameritech.net
Fri Jan 21 06:54:18 PST 2005

Arnie

Try taking a field trip to the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh...
http://www.clpgh.org/locations/reference/ptdl/

There are 2 sites here in IL, but I haven't ventured into Chicago or down
to Springfield to do some looking....I have heard that it is much faster
to look for old patents that way than hunting by guessing on the web.

The patent on Rick Monk's Kent Cement Mixer was found this way by another
person (I won't go into that story here).

Steve

--- Frank DeWitt <Frank at lbpinc.com> wrote:

It has been a long long time since I did a patent search but as I recall

You could search by multiple inputs  such as subject category  (a number)
assignee,  and range of dates.  This what not on the Internet.  I did it
at one of the  Libraries that house patent info.  I used the one in
Buffalo NY.  The librarians were very helpful in getting me started. I
don't recall if the old stuff was computerized at that time.  This site
might help you.
Patent and Trademark Depository Library Program
(PTDLP)  http://www.uspto.gov/go/ptdl/

I haven't tried it since.  In the other patents I have, I had the luxury
of some one else paying for the search (and being the assignee).

Frank