[SEL] Wolsley information.

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 20 04:40:57 PST 2005

The letter below was posted to the UK engine group.
Perhaps it could be of interest to some Aussie members!
I am involved with Norman Painting in publishing his latest book
"Herbert Austin: New Light on the Wolseley Years." It is based on
recently-discovered material. We hope to get it on the bookshelves in
time for the Austin/Longbridge Centenary celebrations in June/July. A
number of  areas of research remain unresolved, hence this approach to
Wolseley stationary engine experts.

When Herbert Austin was working for Wolseley Sheep Shearing Machine Co
Ltd in the 1890s he designed, built and patented a new portable STEAM
ENGINE and gear for shearing. This represents his first known attempt
to design an engine of any sort. It was a vertical design, unlike his
first motor car petrol engines a few years later which were all of
horizontal configuration.

The steam engine was a two-cylinder design with a novel form of valve
gear, covered by patent number 13879-1893. In July 1893 the company
exhibited the new portable steam engine at the Highland & Agricultural
Society Show in Edinburgh. Interest was very favourable and Messrs.
Carruther’s & Son of Glasgow immediately requested an agency for
selling the portable shearing gear. A similar request was made by R.
J. Hawkes, believed to be from New Zealand.

Austin also developed an early portable oil engine which was completed
and tested by October 1896. The engines were apparently made in sizes
of  4, 7 and 12 b.h.p. In June 1898 the Royal Agricultural Society
held their Birmingham Show in Four Oaks Park, Birmingham and Wolseley
are mentioned in the list of exhibitors of gas/oil engines. We know
from records that these engines sold in Australia: Messrs. Sanderson
Murray & Co., of Tasmania ordered "oil portable engines, and 11 sets
of machines" in January 1898.

We have been unable to locate any illustrations or extant examples of
these machines. If you have come across references to these machines,
or have any idea where such information might be found, we would be
very pleased to hear from you.

With best wishes Peter Allen