[SEL] 6/1 (Caste Iron Curry Lister)

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 08:29:06 PST 2005

Hi Arnie,
I have been snoozing and don't have Gary's message, so, please forward this
on to him.
Here's my thoughts on the Caste Iron Curry Listers:  they are much like the
Harbor Freight lathes and mills in that they are a kit that you should
disassemble, clean, adjust and reassemble.  Why? Because there likely is sand left
over from the casting, and, some of the parts may work, but not be well fitted
and should be touched up for better and longer running.  There are several
sellers on eBay that will sell a Caste Iron Lister, or, Lister Clone.  None offer
the CS (cold start) feature so far as I know.  The CS is a variable compression
device that allows for starting at one compression, then changing to another,
lower compression for working.  It looks much like the handle on a gate
valve.

One of the best sources I know for both information and inspiration on both
the Caste Iron Listers and, the fine Chinese diesels is
http://www.utterpower.com/ where George Breckenridge has many examples of both.  George also has put
together a really nice guide to preparing a Lister Clone for service, showing
the breakdown, cleanup, and adjustments needed and it is available on CD for a
small fee.  (I get no kickback, but I really like the copy I bought.)

Please send this along to Gary.  Thanks.
Regards,
Ron Carroll
PS:  Maybe next time we can also talk about the cute little Petters creeping
out of India.  :>)  Well, some are small, but one is a twin of about 20 HP.
PPS:  I am thinking of bringing in some of the smallest Changfa hopper cooled
diesels (about 3 1/2 HP) to offer for sale.  Reg showed us his some time
back, and I found a source to acquire them.  If there is interest, please write
off list.  Thank you.

In a message dated 1/14/2005 9:31:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,