[SEL] OT - road trip info

Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Jan 13 15:39:48 PST 2005

Ed,

    I have had 3 Dodge Pickups with Cummins engines.  The best I have
gotten on any of them is 22.5 mpg.  That was the bare truck, empty bed,
tailgate down, cruse set on 70, non stop interstate driving.  If you are
going to pull a trailer and you get a 4 X 4, don't expect 20 mpg.  I
would guess more like 14 to 15.  The truck I have now has the Cummins
and is a 2 WD.  Pulling a trailer with 6,500 lbs behind it will lug me
down to about 16 mpg.   I'd go the automatic route.  They're built
pretty stout and seem to hold up well behind the Cummins.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, Ky