[SEL] SAFETY AND SECURITY PROGRAM OFFERED BY MICROSOFT

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Jan 11 20:35:47 PST 2005

John,

It's also a matter of knowing what you are installing, where you are
visiting, and checking the "typical launch points" now and then. I've caught
things myself that the spy search apps have not, again, a matter of know
what should and what should not be there.
When you are snooping the Windows registry nearly daily on dozens of
computers, and looking at hard drives every week, you soon have a feel for
what isn't right.
No database in the world can make up for that.
It's like finding viruses using the definition ("fingerprint") method, or
the heuristics method - the first only works if you know what it looks like,
not if it's brand new. The latter, although it takes more horsepower, is
better for unknowns and new threats. Or finding a terrorist..............if
you don't know what he looks like, but know how one might act.

Bill