[SEL] Speed limiter

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Sun Jan 9 15:54:14 PST 2005

Hi Rupert & Steve -

   Taking John's lead (Thanks!), I *did* find the unit pictured in
Volume 3, pg. 32 of Alan King's books of engine ads. It's exactly what I
have right down to the spring pressure adjustment knob. I echo your
thoughts as to how long the shoes would hold up under constant slipping.
The shoes are extremely hard wood, possibly rock maple, but even so
you've think they'd burn 'em out of there in short order. Maybe they
figured with reasonably light loads, it wouldn't be a problem. Looking
at the 3rd picture I put up, you can see the flyball weights are hinged
(round head screws) between the weights and the shoes; the faster this
unit was to turn (weights thrown towards the outside), the less force
would be applied to the shoes (shoes pulled in) to hold the drive drum.
This unit even has the ball thrust bearings noted in the advertisement.
Interesting to note; the ad states: "Can change speed while running". In
other words, they expected it to constantly slip! They must have sold a
lot of replacement shoes! As to name, it's a Cedar Rapids Speed Governor
made by the Cedar Rapids Foundry & Machine Co. The pictures you put up,
Steve, are exactly what this unit is. Thanks!

- Steve

--
Steve Gray
Member EDGE & TA, Br. 49 & 13