[SEL] Speed limiter

Steve Barr stevebarr at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 9 11:13:05 PST 2005

Here are 2 better pictures.  I forgot I had them on the auction page...

http://www.oldengine.org/members/sbarr/images/Auctions/Baraboo2002/05.jpg
http://www.oldengine.org/members/sbarr/images/Auctions/Baraboo2002/06.jpg

Steve
-- Steve Barr <stevebarr at ameritech.net> wrote:
Steve

I have one of those...I don't havea good picture...should shovel my way
out tothe garage and get some work time and photos out there...I think
that it is a Cedar Rapids Centrifugal Clutch.  I will have to check to see
if mine has a tag or not.  A friend has one with a tag.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/sbarr/images/Shows/2002DuPageFair/07.jpg

I have had it out to one show.  Picture is not great as it shows the
engine driving it as well.  It is mounted on the mill's skids.

Steve
--- Steve Gray <segray at mlode.com> wrote:

Hey Guys & Gals -

I picked up a little trinket last November in the form of a speed limiter
for a line shaft. At first, I thought if might be an early form of a
centrifugal clutch until I saw how the flyballs were pinned. The large
pulley in the pictures would have been the driven (input) side which spins
the clutch drum. The clutch shoes, which are wood, are mounted on the
flyballs and are spring loaded against the drum. This transmits the
rotating motion from the input pulley to the output shaft and pulley. If
the speed becomes too great, the flyballs pull the clutch shoes away from
the drum, slowing the output. This unit has no markings whatsoever other
than having a lot of old red paint on it. Any idea of age and maker?
Pictures are at: http://www.oldengineshed.com/snapshot/.  I need to pour
new babbitt bearings in it, but it's in excellent shape, otherwise. If
there's room for it, it might end up on the big display trailer.

- Steve

--
Steve Gray
Member EDGE & TA, Br. 49 & 13